Pete Wirs to Make Sports History Sunday June 24 at Phila Triathlon
Born March 4, 1955, Bala Cynwyd, PA son of Frederick C Kurn, D.O. and Elizabeth Q. LeSchin (nee Wirs). School of Journalism, Temple University (1973-1975); PA. Penna. Commission on Crime and Delinquency (Act 44) certification, Temple University (1998), Act 44 re-certification Harrisburg Area Community College (1998-1999). Elected State Constable for the City of Harrisburg (4th Ward) (1997) nominated in both Democratic and Republican primaries. Re-elected (2003) after re-nominated in both Democratic and Republican primaries. Elected Member, 59th Republican Ward Executive Committee (2006, 2010, 2014), Chairman, Treasurer and Acting Ward Leader, (2006-2010), Ward Leader and Treasurer (2010-14), Treasurer (2014). Trustee, Lincoln Charitable Trust (2007-). Chairman, National Conference of Public Officials (2006-). Chairman and Executive Director, The Germantown Conservancy, Inc. (2009- ), Chairman and CEO, The Poor Richard Corp. (1976-2016).
Journalism career began at the age of 13 for the Doylestown, PA Daily Intelligencer and a radio news broadcaster and correspondent by 17 years of age for WBUX AM, Doylestown, contributed to KYW Newsradio, Phila, WCAU-TV, Phila, and the Associated Press, covered Presidents Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan and George H.W. Bush and Pope John Paul II’s Philadelphia visit.; chairman Second UPI Unsecured Creditors Committee (1985).
Administrative assistant to State Rep. Benj. H. Wilson (1970-1972), special assistant to Phila. Councilwoman Dr. Ethel D. Allen (1973-76), New Britain Twp. Republican chairman (1973-77), chairman, New Britain Twp. Bicentennial commission (1975), mbr., New Britain Twp. Park and Recreation Board (1974). First candidate for public office and first notary public in Pennsylvania under age 21 (1973). Mbr. ACLU (2002-) brd mbr. ACLU South Central PA Chapter (2002-2006), life mbr. Germantown Republican Club, life mbr. Society of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick, mbr. The Pennsylvania Society, exec. dir., brd. mbr., Friends of Pennsylvania Libraries (1997), mbr., U.S. Capitol Historical Society, Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Valley Forge Historical Society, Temple Univ. Alumi Association, Chalfont Vol. Fire Co. (1973-75), Valley Forge Vol. Fire Co. (1975-76). Chairman and Presidential designate, 250th National Fire Service Anniversary Commission (1983). Chairman and Presidential designate, Presidential Inaugural Prayer Ceremony (1985, 1989, 1992, 1996, 2004, 2008). Special Master (mediator) Philadelphia Firefighters Union Local 22 v. City of Phila. (Phila. Common Pleas) (2005-2006), Secretary, Philadelphia Republican Leadership Council (2012-2013).
Mbr., Historic Old St. George’s United Methodist Church, mbr, administrative council (1978-1988), chairman, Pilgrimage Committee (1985-88).
Exec. Vice President (2003-2006), President (2006-) Pennsylvania Wrestling Club, Inc. Athletic Mbr. USA Wresting (2014- ). Won-Loss record 2-5 (Exhibition 1-5) . Ranked 18th (56 out of 165) 2017. USA Wrestling 2017 National Beach Wrestling Champion (Class E, 85 kg ), USA Wrestling 2018 National Beach Wrestling Champion (Class E, 78 kg), 2017 Masters Nationals 4th Place (Freestyle Class E) 2015 DNP (Freestyle Class E), 2014. DNP (Freestyle Class E), St. John's College High School 2017 Crush Cancer Tournament (Silver), Spartans 2017 Wrestling Tournament (Silver).
Married to the former Anna May Casper, Nov. 22, 2003. Residence, Philadelphia, PA. Diagnosed June 3, 2016 with new variant of Mitochondrial Disease, a progressive and fatal disease.
*The Great Pennsylvania Library Crisis (1997) (position paper for PA House of Representatives)
* I Shot the Constable, but didn’t Shoot the Deputy – the History of the Pennsylvania State Constable (2000) (research paper for PA Supreme Court).
* The Musmanno List — Rankings of Penna. Law Firms for Civil Rights Advocacy (2004) (research paper for PA ACLU)
* Editor, Joseph D. Crunlish, A City Finds Itself, Wayne State Univ. Press (1959), updated (2011)
* Government Ethics, Accountability and Productivity (early 2018).
* Model Code of Official Conduct (NCOPO 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017).
* Model Abandoned and Blighted Property Receivership Code (NCOPO 2015).
* Mitochondrial Disease and Cureless Disease Bill of Rights Act of 2016 (NCOPO 2016).
* Olympic Bill of Rights Act of 2016 (NCOPO 2016).
* Advisory Opinion saving Nevada Taxpayers $1 billion in proposed NFL Football Stadium (2016).
* Commended as a “Profile in Courage.” 150 Congressional Record p. E493, March 30, 2004. Remarks of U.S. Rep. Tim Holden (D-PA).
* Commended on sports history of becoming the oldest person to compete in first wrestling bout. 160 Congressional Record p. E476, April 1, 2014. Remarks of U.S. Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio).
* Commended on sports history of becoming the oldest person to compete in first wrestling bout. 160 Congressional Record p. E477, April 1, 2014. Remarks of U.S. Bob Brady (R-Ohio).
* Nominated in both 2003 Democratic and Republican primaries and re-elected in 2003 municipal election despite not being an official candidate for re-election.
* Consideration for appointment twice to the Pennsylvania Court of Judicial Discipline 2013 and 2016.
* April 17, 2014 proclaimed Peter J. Wirs Day by Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman.
* Honored by Pennsylvania House of Representatives for Sports History, HR 898 (October 4, 2014) 203-0.
* Honored by His Holiness, Pope Francis, October 4, 2016 for competing in Wrestling despite suffering from Mitochondrial Disease.
* Only person since Abraham Lincoln to successfully sue the Supreme Court of the United States on Writ of Mandamus, in In re Wirs, 510 U.S. 809 (1993) which was employed as leverage to extract supplemental appropriations to fund civil jury fee fund.
* Broadcast first live remote for WBUX, Doylestown PA 1972.
* Broke story on President Jimmy Carter’s admission U.S. Iranian hostages were relocated. May 9, 1980.
* Is the last known U.S. public officeholder to have been burned in effigy in St. Denis, France November 30, 2006 regarding Mumia Abu-Jamal, according to Betsey Piette, “Support in France stays strong for Mumia Abu-Jamal” Worker’s World (Dec. 7, 2006).
* Holds world record for being oldest person, at age 59, to compete in his very first sanctioned wrestling bout. U.S. Veterans National April 17, 2014, having never wrestled in school or college.
* First non-lawyer (in recent history) to serve as Course Planner for Pennsylvania Bar Institute, How Pennsylvania Courts will Save Pennsylvania Cities legal CLE course, Mon. Dec. 10, 2012.
* First person to be diagnosed with new variant of Mitochondrial Disease, a heterozygous c10orf2 chromosome which results in mitochondrial depletion.
* Became first American and first male to be terminally ill to compete in a non-Paralympic national championship April 27, 2017 at USA Wrestling Veterans Nationals, Las Vegas, NV.
* Became first person to be terminally ill to win a non-Paralympic national championship, May 20, 2017 at USA Wrestling Beach Wrestling Championship, Carolina Beach, NC.
* Ranks 18th (11 points) in USA Wrestling's 2017 Master Ironman (age 35+) Standings (Nov. 2017) ranking behind 67 competitors and ahead of 115 competitors.
* Became the first person to be terminally ill to win a second non-Paralympic national championship, May 19, 2018 at USA Wrestling Beach Wrestling Championship, Carolina Beach, NC.